What to do when your grill is not igniting.
When your Traeger grill isn't igniting, it could mean a few things:
- The IGNITE button isn't responding when you press it.
- The IGNITE button responds, but the pellets aren't igniting or the grill isn't getting hot.
- The grill is taking too long to ignite.
Once you determine which situation you're experiencing, use the information in this article to troubleshoot appropriately.
IGNITE BUTTON NOT WORKING
You can tell that the IGNITE button is working properly if, when you press it, the controller displays the text, "Igniting..."
If the controller doesn't display, "Igniting..." when you press IGNITE, or if you have to press the IGNITE button multiple times before the controller will follow the command, there's something wrong with the controller.
- Loosen the controller's bottom-right screw. This screw is sometimes tightened too tightly when manufactured, thus adding pressure to the button, making the controller unable to tell when you press it.
- Try the IGNITE button again.
- If the IGNITE button still doesn't work, proceed to step 3.
- Carefully pull the controller away from your grill.
- Unplug all Molex connectors from your controller.
- If you're struggling to disconnect the Molex connectors, try wiggling them. If that doesn't work, spray WD40 on the connectors to loosen them.
- Reconnect all Molex connectors to your controller.
- Use this Wiring Diagram if you need a visual guide.
- Try igniting again.
- If your grill isn't igniting within 10 minutes, contact Customer Service.
HOT ROD DISCONNECTED | IGNITER DISCONNECTED | HEATER IS DISCONNECTED
Any of these errors Indicate the hot rod (igniter) is disconnected or broken.
- Check connections by unscrewing the 4 screws on each corner of the controller.
- If all connections are good, contact Customer Service.
FAILED TO IGNITE
A failed to Ignite error means the grill failed to ignite in a set time period, and is likely due to the grill running out of pellets or being started with the lid open.
- Check to make sure there are good-quality pellets in both the firepot and in the hopper. If empty or low, fill the hopper.
- Check pellet quality.
- Make sure you followed a closed-lid startup procedure.
- Make sure the hot rod is heating. The tip of the hotrod should be visible in the firepot sticking out about a quarter of an inch.
- Hover your hand over the hotrod without touching it. You should be able to feel the heat coming off it.
- If there's no heat, go to IGNITE BUTTON WORKS, BUT GRILL DOES NOT IGNITE.
SLOW IGNITION ERROR
A Slow ignition Error is a notification that is for information purposes only and does not need action.
This means the grill is taking longer to reach the set temperature than normal. This occurs when the grill does not see a significant temperature rise after 15 minutes and is normal. This could be due to cold outside/ambient temperatures, lack of pellets, or an overfilled firepot.
NOTE: You may notice that after you get this message, your grill will overshoot before leveling out.
IGNITE BUTTON WORKS, BUT HOT ROD DOES NOT HEAT UP
If the IGNITE button works, but there's no heat when you hover your hand over the hot rod, follow the troubleshooting below.
IS THE GRILL IN DEMO MODE?
Check to see if your grill is in Demo Mode. If it is, the controller will read Demo Mode.
- To turn Demo Mode off, go to Menu > Settings > Demo Mode and select OFF. The controller will then reboot and wake back up in its normal operating state.
CHECK THE HOT ROD
- Remove the internal components of the grill, like the grill grates, drip tray, and heat baffle.
- Make sure the firepot is clean of ash and pellets.
- Turn the grill on and press IGNITE.
- Carefully hover your hand over the firepot. Do not touch the firepot or the hotrod. Do you feel the heat coming from the firepot? It may take a 3-5 minutes for the hotrod to heat up.
- If there's no heat, contact Customer Service.
- If the hotrod is heating up, shut down and unplug the grill. Follow troubleshooting steps in Grill Running too Cool.
GRILL NOT GETTING HOT ENOUGH
If the grill is heating up, but just isn't reaching the desired temperature, see Running too Cool.
For further issues or problems, please contact Customer Support so we can help you get back to grilling.