Some customers attempting to connect their WiFIRE-enabled Traeger grill with an EERO router may experience difficulty pairing successfully because EERO routers/boosters are designed specifically for 5GHz devices and Traeger grills are designed to connect via 2.4 GHz networks.
Let's walk through some tips to connect your Traeger grill with an EERO router.
CHECK WIFI PASSWORD LENGTH
Long WiFi passwords containing 38+ characters tend to cause difficulty connecting. Auto-generated passwords often exceed this length.
- Go to Main Dashboard > Settings > Wifi Password.
- You’ll be taken to a field to view/edit your network password.
- You can edit your password by tapping Edit Password.
CHECK YOUR EERO FIRMWARE VERSION
You can find the latest EERO firmware version on EERO's website here.
Check your EERO firmware version by opening your EERO app and navigating to Settings > Software Updates > Update.
If you have difficulty updating to the newest firmware, please refer to this article on the ERRO support site for more assistance.
TURN OFF ADVANCED SECURITY
EERO routers come with a default feature turned on called Advanced Security. This feature blocks malicious sites, botnets, phishing, etc.
Find that feature in the EERO app and turn it off. From here, some customers have been able to get the grill to connect. Once the grill is connected, you may turn Advanced Security back on, and it should not disconnect the grill.
TURN OFF APPLE HOMEKIT
If you have Apple HomeKit enabled, you should disconnect it because it creates firewalls that may prevent your grill from connecting.
TURN ON LEGACY MODE
Legacy Mode is a setting that disables WiFi 6 on 2.4 GHz networks.
NOTE: Ensure the 5GHz network is still disabled.
- Open the Eero app and tap, Settings, on the bottom right.
- Tap, Troubleshooting.
- Tap, My device won’t connect.
- Tap, My device can’t detect WiFi 6.
- Toggle Legacy Mode ON.
After enabling Legacy Mode, attempt to connect your grill again.
PUT YOUR PHONE IN AIRPLANE MODE
- Put your phone in airplane mode and disable Bluetooth.
- In the EERO app, go to Settings > Troubleshooting > My Device Won't Connect.
- Disable your 5 GHz temporarily.
- Turning off 5 GHz temporarily will only last about 10 minutes. You may need to go back into the app to disable again if troubleshooting for longer than that timeframe.
- While 5GHz is disabled, go to Settings > Advanced > Restart Network.
- While your router is restarting, Power Cycle the grill.
- The network will turn back on with 5GHz still disabled and the grill should connect.
TRY CONNECTING WITH A GUEST NETWORK
Use the steps outlined in this EERO Support article to share your EERO guest network.
If, after trying all the above workarounds, your grill still won't connect, contact EERO at 1-877-659-2347.