We're so excited that you've chosen to join the Traeger Nation. Before cooking on your Traeger, you'll need to season your WiFIRE-enabled (D2) grill.
Seasoning, sometimes called "initial burn-in," is a simple, one-time process that primes the auger with pellets and utilizes high heat to burn off residual, food-grade, non-toxic mineral oil that is used during the manufacturing process to prevent rust.
- NOTE: It is normal for the grill to produce an odd smell during the burn-in process due to burning off the residual manufacturing oils.
How Often Do I Need to Season My Grill?
You should only have to season your grill one time (before grilling for the first time); however, you should re-season your grill after replacing the following parts to burn off any anti-rust and manufacturing oils:
- Drip Tray
- Heat Baffle
How Long Does Seasoning Take?
D2 grills typically take 90 minutes to season from start to finish.
How to Season Your WiFIRE Grill
Before seasoning your grill, take advantage of your grill's WiFIRE capacities. You can do almost all of the seasoning process from your phone. Download the Traeger app and connect your grill.
* Steps marked with an * can all be done from your Traeger app!
- Make sure all internal components are inside the grill. This includes the heat baffle, drip tray, and grill grates.
- Plug in the grill to an electrical outlet and turn it on using the switch on the back of the grill.
- Add hardwood pellets to the hopper.
- On your controller, navigate to SELECT AUGER > PRIME AUGER.
- Once pellets begin to fall into the firepot, select Done to turn off the auger.
- Turn the selection dial clockwise to 350°F (177°C) and press the controller knob to set the temperature.
- Close the lid and press IGNITE on the front of the controller.
- Once the grill reaches 350°F (177°C), set a timer for 20 minutes.*
- After 20 minutes, adjust the temperature to 450 - 500°F (232°C).*
- When the temperature reaches 450 - 500°F (232°C), set a timer for 30 minutes.*
- After 30 minutes, you are good to throw a steak on the grill and start cooking. If you aren’t ready for your first cook, shut down the grill. *
- For a Pro Series Grill, press the selection dial for three seconds.
- For an Ironwood or Timberline, press the Standby button for three seconds.
- In the app, select your grill, hit the Shut Down button, and slide down on the flames to begin the shutdown cycle.
- Once the shutdown cycle finishes (this can take up to 30 minutes), the seasoning of your grill is complete, and you are ready to start cooking.