What to do if your WiFIRE-enabled grill's controller displays a negative temperature or shows the temperature going down as the grill is heating up.
- The grill's temp shows negative or is dropping during during startup.
- As the grill preheats, the temperature on the controller display goes down instead of up, even though the grill's actual temperature is going up.
Typically, the thermocouple wires are installed backward.
IMPORTANT: Before proceeding
To continue you'll need to remove your hopper service panel. To remove this panel for the first time, you'll want to use an impact driver to remove the screws behind the P.A.L rail on your hopper service panel.
- If this is your first time removing the hopper service panel and you don't have an impact driver of your own. Contact our customer support team and we'll send you a complimentary manual impact driver.
- If you already have a manual impact driver, proceed to removing the hopper service panel.
- If you have already removed the service panel screws, you can disregard the impact driver and use a regular Phillips screwdriver.
- Once you've removed the screws using the impact driver, continue with the next steps outlined here in this article.
- Power off and unplug your grill.
- Access the thermocouple's connection point.
- Timberlines: Use a manual impact driver to remove the hopper service panel and the Smart Combustion Cover.
- D2 Grills: Unscrew the controller.
- Find the yellow thermocouple connector.
- Verify that the + and - signs match the + and - on the motherboard or controller.
- If incorrect, disconnect and connect correctly. If the grill still reads temperature backward, continue to the next step.
- Turn on the grill and ignite to verify the temperature goes up correctly.
- If it still goes down, continue to the next step.
- Swap the thermocouple wires.
- Unscrew the two Phillips-head screws that secure the wires to the connector.
- Switch the wire placement so the wire that was connected to the + is now connected to the -, and vice versa.
- Turn on the grill and ignite and confirm the temperature goes up.