What to do if your WiFIRE-enabled grill's controller displays a negative temperature or shows the temperature going down as the grill is heating up.
- The grill's temp shows negative.
- As the grill preheats, the temperature on the controller display goes down instead of up, even though the grill's actual temperature is going up.
Typically, the thermocouple wires are installed backward.
- Power off and unplug your grill.
- Access the thermocouple's connection point.
- Timberlines: Remove the hopper access panel and the Smart Combustion Cover.
- D2 Grills: Unscrew the controller.
- Find the yellow thermocouple connector.
- Verify that the + and - signs match the + and - on the motherboard or controller.
- If incorrect, disconnect and connect correctly. If the grill still reads temperature backward, continue to the next step.
- Turn on the grill and ignite to verify the temperature goes up correctly.
- If it still goes down, continue to the next step.
- Swap the thermocouple wires.
- Unscrew the two Phillips-head screws that secure the wires to the connector.
- Switch the wire placement so the wire that was connected to the + is now connected to the -, and vice versa.
- Turn on the grill and ignite and confirm the temperature goes up.