What to do when you receive the "LID OPEN MESSAGE" on your new Timberline or Ironwood grill.
The grill detects that the grill lid has been left open. The most likely cause is that the grill lid was left open, but may also be a result of a faulty lid sensor or missing/damaged magnet.
The lid open message (this is not an error) will appear on the screen when the grill detects that the grill lid has been left open. The most likely cause is that the grill lid was left open, but it may also result from a faulty lid sensor, missing/damaged magnet, or even outdated firmware. Let's run through the troubleshooting below to find the cause.
NOTE: If you are getting a Timberline: Lid Sensor Error, this is different and will require different troubleshooting. Please contact Customer Support for further assistance.
The grill continues to cook, though performance may reduce.
- Close the lid.
- If the message still appears while the lid is closed, proceed.
- Make sure FIRMWARE is up to date.
On your controller display, find the ABOUT GRILL menu option or check this on the Traeger App.
- Ensure the grill is cool and finished with its shutdown cycle.
- Run a SELF-TEST to ensure there are no disconnects. Follow the steps below:
- On the controller display, go to MENU > MAINTENANCE & CARE > SELF-TEST. The test should take about 10 seconds to complete.
- If the lid test fails, proceed to the next step.
- Confirm all connectors are fully connected manually.
- Use a manual impact driver to remove the hopper service panel and smart combustion cover.
- Confirm the connections on the motherboard are secure, specifically the cable connection to the lid/light sensor.
- Confirm wiring is not pinched, cut, or damaged inside the hopper.
- If the error continues, contact Customer Support.
IMPORTANT: Before proceeding
To continue you'll need to remove your hopper service panel. To remove this panel for the first time, you'll need to use an impact driver to remove the screws behind the P.A.L rail on your hopper service panel.
- If this is your first time removing the hopper service panel and you don't have an impact driver of your own. Contact our customer support team and we'll send you a complimentary manual impact driver.
- If you already have a manual impact driver, proceed to removing the hopper service panel.
- If you have already removed the service panel screws, you can disregard the impact driver and use a regular Phillips screwdriver.
- Once you've removed the screws using the impact driver, continue with the next steps outlined here in this article.