What to do when your grill displays Error: 0028 Sensor Disconnected on your new Timberline or Ironwood grill.
Related Articles & Links
- What is a pellet sensor and how does it work?
Replacing a pellet sensor on touchscreen Timberline and Ironwood models
What Happens When a Pellet Sensor Disconnected Alert Occurs?
The grill displays the error indicating it does not detect the pellet sensor. The grill will continue performing as designed.
The grill is not detecting the pellet sensor for one of the following reasons:
- Pellet sensor connection to the motherboard is loose or disconnected
- Pellet sensor wiring damage
- Faulty part
Resolving a Pellet Sensor Disconnected Error
- Check your grill's firmware to make sure it's on the latest version.
IMPORTANT: Before proceeding
To continue you'll need to remove your hopper service panel. To remove this panel for the first time, you'll want to use an impact driver to remove the screws behind the P.A.L rail on your hopper service panel.
- If this is your first time removing the hopper service panel and you don't have an impact driver of your own. Contact our customer support team and we'll send you a complimentary manual impact driver.
- If you already have a manual impact driver, proceed to removing the hopper service panel.
- If you have already removed the service panel screws, you can disregard the impact driver and use a regular Phillips screwdriver.
- Once you've removed the screws using the impact driver, continue with the next steps outlined here in this article.
Once you've removed the hopper service panel screws with a provided impact driver:
- Confirm all wiring connectors are fully connected.
- Remove the hopper service panel on the right side of the hopper.
- Remove the Smart Combustion cover.
- Disconnect and reconnect all connectors.
- Confirm cable connection to pellet sensor is secure.
- Confirm wiring is not pinched, cut damaged inside the hopper.
- If any wires are pinched or damaged, contact Customer Support to receive new wires.
- Run SELF-TEST.
- If the pellet sensor does not fail, you're good to get Traegering!
- If the error returns or the pellet sensor fails, contact Customer Support so we can troubleshoot further and replace your pellet sensor, if needed.